[CentOS] Yum java-devel not listed installed

Mon Oct 2 23:54:04 UTC 2017
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Monday, October 02, 2017 16:24:20 -0700
> From: david <david at daku.org>
>
> Folks
>
> I performed an install of "java-devel".  Several packages got
> installed.  So far so good.
>
> Yet, when I performed
>    yum list installed | grep java-devel
> and also
>    yum rpm -qa | grep java-devel
>
> it did not show up as already installed.
>
> This behavior appears both on Centos7 and Centos6.  This bothers me
> because as a time-saving effort, I maintain the last output of "yum
> list installed" and quickly determine whether it's worth running
> yum.  True, yum would "do nothing", but that takes several seconds.
>
> Is there some simple explanation?  It works for all the other
> packages I've installed.
>
> David

What gets installed with a "yum install java-devel" command is:

  java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel.x86_64

which is why your "yum list installed | grep java-devel" doesn't find
it. If you did, instead, "yum list installed | grep java | grep
devel" it would work.

Your "yum rpm -qa | grep java-devel" isn't a valid yum option. The
correct command:

  rpm -qa | grep java-devel

would fail to find it for the same reason your "yum list" command did.

Try instead:

   rpm -qa java\* | grep devel

that should turn it up:

  java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel.x86_64 1:1.8.0.144-0.b01.el7_4  @updates

Your /var/log/yum.log shows the names of the packages installed,
which can help if there is confusion.