[CentOS] Intel turbo mode

Tue Oct 3 17:01:18 UTC 2017
hw <hw at adminart.net>

Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1 October 2017 at 11:34, hw <hw at adminart.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way in Centos to find out if the Intel turbo mode will be
>> used?
>>
>> Using the 'stress' utility and checking the frequency with cpupower
>> tells me that a CPU is running at it´s maximum frequency as reported by
>> cpupower --- and this frequency is less than the frequency it would run
>> at if it used the turbo mode.  All the other CPUs are at their minimum
>> frequency.  I have verified that turbo mode is enabled in the BIOS.
>>
>> Is cpupower unable to report frequencies used in turbo mode despite it
>> always says it gets its information from the hardware?
>>

> It would seem that there are multiple ways to get the information you
> are looking for. I expect you have seen this already
>
> https://haypo.github.io/intel-cpus.html
>
> but I figured I would pass it on for others. They found that cpupower
> is less reliable in how it reports the data because of the values it
> gets them from.

Thanks, I didn´t see that one yet.  At least I noticed that cpupower
says that turbo mode is available, and turbostat seems to indicate that
CPUs sometimes run at higher frequencies like they would when in turbo
mode.

It´s strange that there is no tool to definitely figure this out,
especially since RH seems to have done a lot of research into improving
performance.

--
"Didn't work" is an error.