[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Wed Oct 4 12:22:13 UTC 2017
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

On Wednesday 04 October 2017 12:54:44 Mark Haney wrote:
> Sorry, but if you have to use packages that don't originate from CentOS
> and they do that, then I wouldn't use them. Period.  I'd compile from
> source before I used something configured that way.

This perspective to some extent employs cutting your nose of dispite youre
face.  Before Packages were introduced, everyone compiled from source. That
was a pain, and a long process, especially when you had dependancies that you
also had to compile.  Packages eased this process but kept the dependancy
issue.

Package managers got round (mostly) both the dependancy problem and updating
too. The problem with package maintainers not keeping up to date shows that
this still isn't perfect.

However, if you go back to compiling from source then you lose all of these
benefits.

> Why is it so hard for people to understand that var/run IS NOT
> PERSISTENT and was never meant to be?  Do they not teach basic Unix
> concepts anymore?  If you think that setup is acceptable, I wouldn't
> hire you to water my lawn as you'd likely water the electrical box along
> with said lawn.

Thankfully I do not earn my keep by watering lawns.  I do not believe that
this is acceptable, but by the same token I have to earn my keep and that
involves having working production servers and services.

I have managed to get round this problem in the past through manually doing
the same function as systemd-tmpfiles. It is a small price to pay to have a
working, (relatively) up to date server.