[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Wed Oct 4 13:14:39 UTC 2017
Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net>

On 10/04/2017 08:46 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2017 13:39:30 Mark Haney wrote:
>> I'll end this by saying, I hope the production servers you have don't
>> provide critical services that could jeopardize the lives of people.
>> I'd ask who you work for, to make sure I avoid them at all costs, but
>> I'm not sure I'd be told.
> The company I work for, and the livelihood of the hundreds of employees depend
> on my servers. In the 30 years I've been in the industry, I've never had
> problems as you've described

In 30 years you've obviously learned nothing about Unix/Linux.  I'd be
embarrassed to claim that length of IT service and do something as
catastrophically stupid as what you're doing now.  Just because it
'hasn't been a problem' doesn't mean it won't.  Seriously, if it were
me, I'd either retire or hire someone better than you with production
servers.

You'd think, with your supposed experience, you wouldn't use the 'well
it's never happened before' as a viable reason for doing something.
That's ignorant, immature and far more dangerous for your organization
than I would be happy with as a CEO or Manager. That attitude is never
excusable.

This conversation is over. You refuse to listen to literally EVERYONE
ELSE ON THE LIST and therefore not worth anyone else's time trying to
help you.  (Especially mine.)

I showed my daughter this thread, she's a freshman in the Honors College
of Engineering at Virginia Tech majoring in Math and CpE, has been using
linux since she was old enough to sit at a keyboard and even she was
appalled.  If that doesn't tell you something, nothing will.

Do us all a favor and don't post to the list unless you are willing to
listen to rational human beings.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova