[CentOS] Weird bandwith behaviour (download throughput) on CentOS based gateway

Thu Oct 5 01:57:18 UTC 2017
Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a company gateway that is connected to a 30/30 Fiber connection,
> network termination point is a MRV OS-904.
> It acts as a firewall/router for the DMZ/hosts/lans behind.
>
> Software: CentOS 6.9, bare minimum install, all latest patches.
> Hardware: Xeon CPU, Intel server MB with two Intel PRO 1000 (e1000,
> e1000e) network cards, adaptec RAID, 8GB RAM
>

> On the hosts/lan behind I can happily achieve 28.8 mbs - it seems it's
> being capped at that speed by the provider.
>
> However, on the host itself I cannot get passed 820k/s max, even if I
> switch off iptables and anything else that could interfere with the
> download/upload bandwidth.
>

> I have no idea why this is the case - It only matters when I need to "yum
> update" as the updates take 4 times longer than on the CentOS DMZ hosts
> behind it - but yes, its rather annoying!
>

> Where do I need to look?
> What am I missing?

Hi,

Are you sure  that your issue  isn't related to the mirror that your
systems are selecting ?  If they are using different mirrors I would try
using the fastestmirror plugin to make the gateway select the same mirror
as you other host.