[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Mon Oct 9 11:54:18 UTC 2017
hw <hw at adminart.net>

Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net> writes:

> It's quite obvious you aren't using Centos packages.

Again: lighttpd is from epel.

See [1]: "EPEL packages are usually based on their Fedora counterparts
and will never conflict with or replace packages in the base Enterprise
Linux distributions."

If there wasn´t some sort of conflict, then there wouldn´t be an issue
with lighttpd.

Mariadb is from the mariadb repo.

It is quite obvious that Centos causes issues because it is not
following the FHS.

[1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

> If you refuse to do as best practices insist (and have for nearly HALF

I´m not insisting on anything, I´m merely pissed that things are broken.
It has turned out that this is due to the way Centos doesn´t follow the
FHS.

Not following the FHS probably doesn´t exactly fall under best
practises, but Centos insists on doing so.

> A CENTURY) then no one here can help you.  It seems to me that 1)
> you'd be better off compiling from source for your environment,

And you guarantee that if I was to compile lighttpd from source, there
wouldn´t be any issues?  Who says that it is better to compile lighttpd
from source rather than using a package specifically made for Centos
that provides it?

Who says that compiling your own packages falls under best practises? Do
you compile all software you´re using yourself because otherwise you´d
be refusing best practises?

I thought it needless to say, but compiling from source instead of using
packages provided by or for the distribution I´m using is virtually the
opposite of following best practises, for a number of reasons.  I only
do that when there isn´t a better alternative.

> or 2) that you need to follow practices established (probably) before
> you were born

Living in the past seldwhen is a good idea.  Lots of practises that were
established before I was born have disappeared, been replaced by others,
or were revised.  Why should I follow outdated practises?

> or 3) that you stop asking the
> list for thing no one in their right mind would do.
>
> How hard is that math?

It doesn´t compute at all.

Please don´t feel insulted by the following; it is not my intention to
insult you.  It´s merely what I´m thinking:

I can see you saying repeatedly that things should be like you want them
to be because you think that they have been the way you think they are
for a long time and that everyone who doesn´t think the same way must be
either out of their right mind, or stupid or both.  That makes me think
that you´re living in the past and, spinning around in that circle, lack
the flexibility often times required nowadays, letting aside that there
seem to be things you´re mistaken about.

My understanding is also that your way of thinking tries to gain
orientation by looking at structures and neglects the contents of those
very structures; which is not a good idea because structures without
content are hollow and rather meaningless, and anything but seldwhen,
the content of these structures is far more relevant than the structures
themselves, and requires to adjust ones ways of thinking --- and
eventually the structures --- accordingly for to come up with desirable
and adequate results.  (IMHO this is something you really need to show
your daughter, even if it probably doesn´t compute for you.)

I´m much more understanding than mathematical.  Unfortunately, math
doesn´t make sense to me, and it is even illogical.  That may very well
qualify as "being out of my right mind" from your perspective, and I can
live with that because from my perspective, it is not true that I am.

--
"Didn't work" is an error.