[CentOS] /boot partition too small

Tue Oct 10 14:53:47 UTC 2017
KM <info4km at yahoo.com>

 Thanks for all of the input, not really sure what if anything I will do.  i was hoping it would be easy and i could just create a /boot in root, and copy the actual boot contents to it and use it.   wishful thinking i guess.  just to give a complete picture here is the current partitioning on the server....in case anyone wants to say anymore.  Thanks in advance.
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_bldsrv-lv_root
                       50G   26G   22G  55% /
tmpfs                 9.0G  156K  9.0G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1              96M   33M   59M  36% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_bldsrv-lv_home
                      861G  371G  447G  46% /home

Most of this is like speaking another language to me anyway.  I'll consider it all.
KM

    On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎October‎ ‎10‎, ‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎42‎:‎21‎ ‎AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

 On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:36:16AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 10 October 2017 at 09:55, KM <info4km at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > First off - let me say I am not an administrator.  I need to know if there is an easy way to increase my /boot partition.  When I installed CentOS 6 after running 5, it was my oversight not to increase the /boot size. it's too small and I can't do yum updates.

> > if it's not easy to actually increase it, is it safe to take a chunk in my root filesystem (like /new.boot or something) and just mount it as /boot from now on so it uses the space or is that not a good idea?  I am sure I could easily copy the rpms/kernel stuff over to it and then unmounts the real /boot and mount this new area as /boot.
> > Can you administrators let me know what you think of all this?  Thanks in advance.
> > KM
>
> There is no easy way to increase the /boot partition. One can try to
> build another /boot partition and use that but that isn't simple
> either and prone to problems if the /boot is outside of where that
> particular BIOS can intepret (aka embedded in an LVM) or jump to.
>
> I have found the simpler method is usually: dump the disks to backup,
> reinstall the system with 500 to 1000 MB /boot and restore from
> backups.

You can do this (warning--back up everything first, just in case):
-download the grub live CD image (google for it)
-burn it to a CD
-boot it
-use the graphical partition editor to resize and/or move existing
partitions to make room for a larger boot then enlarge the /boot.
all this may take a while once you tell it to commit your changes,
but it isn't hard to do. I've done it several times, as well as smaller
changes, and have yet to have a failure (knock on wood).

Does it work with LVM? Hmmm... good question. I think so, but would
have to go check to be sure.

Good luck!

                      I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.