[CentOS] Flame war police

Wed Oct 11 18:44:23 UTC 2017
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 10/10/2017 11:22 AM, Mark Haney wrote:

> We have this discussion on every list I've ever been, or currently are
> on about every 6 months or so.  I do my best to contribute to the list
> as often as I can, but I can't help people when they are deadset on
> doing dangerous things.  Posts like his, and posts like yours make it
> harder for me to bother trying to help those unwilling to listen.  I
> don't take it from my children, and I certainly won't from adults who
> won't listen.

Hi Mark, been a while since I saw you last in Asheville.

The core issue in the /var/run thread is one of lack of civility. There
is a civil way of calling someone to see their need for further thought
and investigation; calling someone 'stupid' or 'an idiot' over something
as small as /var/run directory persistence is, to my mind at least, its
own brand of immaturity and will typically cause the person so being
attacked to go on the defensive and harden their stance, and this is the
textbook genesis of a flame.

I've been involved in Unix and related pursuits long enough to know that
different people consider different things to be polite.  And I've said
my share of impolite things, especially back in the day when I had a
Usenet leaf node over uucp and participated in news.admin and alt.flame,
so I'm not being self-righteous here, just practical and realistic.
I've been plonked before, and I've plonked before.  (If anyone isn't
familiar with the term 'plonk' it means to put in your killfile or
ignore list, and there are a few people that have been on this list that
I have killfiled in the past, several especially right around the
releases of CentOS 5.6 and CentOS 6.0).

So, for the last several years, I have set a protocol for myself where,
if words that would be considered uncivil by most people were present in
my post, or if my wording became too much of an attack over the person,
I simply don't send it.  My wife and I have five children, so I'm more
than a little familiar with a certain rabbit named Thumper and his
famous adage "f you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at
all."  Now, I don't agree with that adage as written, as I would rather
use the word 'civil' instead of 'nice,' because 'civil' doesn't mean
nice.  Civil just means 'not nasty' even when you need to have 'Radical
Candor.'  But I reserve that sort of 'harsh civility' for my staff here
when necessary, who get a much more civil tone than my children at home
would, incidentally. But my staff aren't children.  And the members of
this list aren't my staff, and I will be civil to everyone on this list.

I'll drop a brief note about my opinion of /var/run later, so that
anyone who wants to ignore that thread before I post can do so.