[CentOS] I do not love thee, kernel-3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.x86_64

Thu Oct 12 06:01:20 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/11/2017 04:30 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> J Martin Rushton wrote:
>> On 11/10/17 19:28, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> I've been having a lot of issues with video, for example. However, this
>>> one... I have a user with a Dell R730. I install kernel and kernel
>>> devel, and the rest of the full update, and rebooted.
>>>
>>> Nope. 100% kernel panic, right around the time it switches root. I even
>>> rebuilt the initramfs, nope.
>>>
>>> And speaking of kernel panics, has *anyone* ever considered that all the
>>> data dumped to the console during one results in NOT BEING ABLE TO READ
>>> ANYTHING BUT THE LAST 24 or less, mostly less, lines?
>>>
>>>       mark, frustrated, removed that kernel
>>
>> Ah, the good old days of running a VAXcluster with hardcopy consoles.
>>
> Smartass. I never had that.... But, really, what's the point of dumping
> many, many lines of data... when it cannot be read? Why not assume that
> it's going to happen on a normal terminal, and dump no more than 25
> 80-char lines? So the admin might maybe possibly have a clue as to what
> caused it?

Surely you do realize there are SEVERAL other display options besides
just the video console, right?

You can use kdump, you can use a serial console .. you can use google
and the search term 'capture kernel oops' to get more than 10 full
search page results on how to capture the output of a kernel oops.