[CentOS] Centos 7.4 32-bit

Fri Oct 13 14:42:04 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/13/2017 03:58 AM, Harold Toms wrote:
> On 13/10/17 09:53, Harold Toms wrote:
>> I've just noticed the i386 Centos 7.4 updates have appeared, including
>> bringing it to kernel 3.10.0-693.2.2. I suspect that a great deal of
>> work had to go in to achieving this. May I say a big "Thank-You" to
>> everyone who has made this possible!
>>

> Oops! Must be Friday 13th or something... that title should have been
> "Centos 7.4".

You are welcome.  And yes, the kernel was hard.  Also, grub2 support was
also hard.

I would like to publicly thank the Springdale Linux maintainers from
Princeton University for their work on both of those packages.

Akemi Yagi also gets much thanks for her work on the CentOS Plus kernel,
which we use on the i386 arch since we need to make several changes.  We
really didn't think we were going to get a working 3.10.0-693 kernel for
i386 (really i686).

The newer grub2 does not work at all with secure boot and needs Legacy
Mode as well on UEFI machines.

We will try very hard to maintain this 32 bit Intel arch as long as we
can .. BUT .. many different distros are stopping i386/i686 support
(Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, etc .. not to mention other than some multilib
packages, RHEL itself does not have i386),  I am not sure how much
longer we can maintain i386 as a stand alone arch.

I will try to maintain i386 as long as I can, hopefully for the entire
lifetime, although at some point, we may have to shift to an upstream
LTS type kernel.  Right now we have such an experimental kernel
available here:

http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/experimental/i386/

How to set up that repository is discussed here:

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/i386

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes