[CentOS] [OT] Bash help

Wed Oct 25 17:48:07 UTC 2017
Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net>

On 10/25/2017 01:24 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> This screams out for associative arrays.  (Also called hashes,
>> dictionaries, maps, etc.)
>>
>> That does limit you to CentOS 7+, or maybe 6+, as I recall.  CentOS 5 is
>> definitely out, as that ships Bash 3, which lacks this feature.
> <snip>
> Associative arrays?
>
> Awk! Awk! (No, I am not a seagull...)
>
> sort file | awk '{ array[$1] += $2;} END { for (i in array) { print i "\t"
> array[i];}'
>
>        mark "associative arrays, how do I love thee? Let me tot the arrays..."

Okay, I'm impressed with this one.  I use awk for simple stuff when sed
starts getting weird, but this is absolutely elegant. No offense to the
other examples, they are all awesome, but I had no idea awk could do
this with such little effort.  Well, I know what I'm studying up on this
weekend.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova