[CentOS] How to encourage maintainers to update their software

Fri Oct 27 21:54:45 UTC 2017
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:32:03 -0400
H wrote:

> How do I best encourage maintainers to update the software they are
> responsible for in various repositories?

If it's something that you need or want and it's not available in a repo that you currently use you can compile it yourself.

I do that with a number of packages that are either newer or simply not available in the various Centos repos.  In many cases it's as easy as downloading a new tar source file and adding it to the existing source rpm, doing three seconds of editing on the spec file to account for the new update, and compiling the result.  Sometimes it's even easier -- just download a newer Fedora rpm and compile that on your Centos system.