[CentOS] How to encourage maintainers to update their software

Sat Oct 28 18:36:33 UTC 2017
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 13:07:41 -0500
Johnny Hughes wrote:

>  But trying to convert CentOS Linux into Fedora is not only redundant
> (Fedora already exists .. use it) .. a bastardized version of CentOS
> with hundreds of newer manually maintained components is not really
> CentOS, and Fedora is likely more stable than that monstrosity anyway.

There's a difference between upgrading core operating system functionality and a changing a few userland programs.  I compile the latest versions of Sylpheed and astyle (for example) and use those programs on my Centos 7 desktop computer.  I don't see any issue with doing things like this and don't believe that it decreases the stability of the system.

I don't want to tear my whole computer down and upgrade my operating system every six months, and I don't want to deal with the bleeding-edge stuff that might or might not work when it affects something like network connectivity or whether I actually get a picture on the screen when I boot up my computer.  But for userland programs, why not run the latest version of Libreoffice or  Cool Reader if it's easy to compile them and I can get a few new features out of it?