[CentOS] Network Interrogation

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Sep 5 19:30:41 UTC 2017

Chris Olson wrote:

> Small private networks are a necessary part of our business.
> We also run some small networks with Internet connectivity
> through firewall routers.  The smallest of these networks
> has only a printer and a mix of five CentOS and Windows 7
> machines.
>
> We use a commercial protection product on the W7 system.

First suggestion: it's a commercial product. Why not open a support ticket
with them?
<snip>
> A recent update to this protection product has caused it
> to start probing the network for other systems.  There is
> sometimes a message following scans indicating that there
> are other systems on our network that are unprotected. It
> appears that the two systems it is naming are a CentOS 6
> system and the HP printer.
<snip>
Second: I'd log into the printer, and check a number of things: first,
does it have bonjour enabled? Does it have "network printing" enabled? And
are its cert, the CA, and the *other* cert all valid? The last, which
sometimes you can only find under networking, not under security, there
may be an option to regenerate a new self-signed cert.

Why it doesn't like C6, which I am assuming is fully updated, is a
question for their support, if the o/p from the package doesn't tell you.

      mark