[CentOS] systemctl poweroff

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 08:24:43 UTC 2017

On 11 September 2017 at 07:49, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using CentOS since versions 4.x, and I see a weird trend in
> recent Linux distributions.
>
> Under CentOS 4.x, 5.x and 6.x, shutting down a server (workstation,
> laptop) simply meant issuing 'shutdown -h now' (or choosing 'Shutdown'
> from the GUI menu), and the machine would simply shut down. Whatever
> crazy process went haywire, shutting down the system meant exactly that.
> No questions asked.
>
> Now with CentOS 7.x, sometimes the machine would simply hang during the
> shutdown process, or I would get a message like "a stop job is running",
> and I would end up having to hit the Reset button to stop the system, as
> I did when I used Microsoft Windows (before 2001).

Have patience - the default is for systemd to give processes 90 seconds to
stop gracefully before forcefully killing them ( the 30 sec / 1 min 30 sec
bit)

With the older sysv scripts things were not so graceful ...

If there's a service that frequently takes ages to stop you may want to
investigate why (eg is it missing a dependency on a network filesystem and
then gets stuck when the network filesystem goes before it does).