[CentOS] KeePassX replacement

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Sat Sep 16 15:05:12 UTC 2017

On 16/09/17 11:55, Tom Longfield wrote:
> I have been using KeePassXC (though mostly on Debian) for quite a while
> now and am happy to report it works well.  Nothing springs to mind that
> annoys me and it's a decent drop in replacement.
> My setup sounds pretty similar to your own (also use keepass2android,
> though not KeePass on Windows).
>
> I would be inclined to compile from source yourself rather than use an
> unofficial repo you have no reason to trust for such a sensitive
> application.
>
> I'm not trying to besmirch the good name of
> copr.fedorainfracloud.org/bugzy but I've never heard of them and if you
> hadn't either that would give me pause for thought before I let their
> binaries at my passwords.

I'm in a similar position presently, evaluating at password manager apps
and had also come across that KeePassXC build.

I briefly installed the above package to evaluate and also intend to
rebuild it for my own use. Another concern for me was the use of the
'centos' dist tag when the package clearly isn't a 'centos' package.
I've got as far as confirming the validity of the source tarball in the
SRPM and checking the SPEC file. Everything looks fine, but as
previously mentioned I would still rebuild such a sensitive package for
my own use.

The only other potential issue I see is that the latest KeePassXC
requires a newer version of libgcrypt, which the repo above packages as
libgcrypt16 (libgcrypt version 1.6.6) on el7. The release of 1.6 broke
ABI compatibility with version 1.5 in el7. I have not tried building
KeePassXC against libgcrypt-1.5 in el7 to know if that is viable.