[CentOS] CentOS, PHP & OwnCloud/Nextcloud: the version dilemma

Sorin Srbu Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Tue Sep 19 07:48:18 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Nicolas Kovacs
Sent: den 19 september 2017 09:37
To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>
Subject: [CentOS] CentOS, PHP & OwnCloud/Nextcloud: the version dilemma

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with OwnCloud and Nextcloud on a sandbox
CentOS 7 server. I've been using OwnCloud for the last two years for my
own purposes on a Slackware server, and I'm quite happy with it.

In my humble opinion, every admin who wants to host OwnCloud or
Nextcloud on a RHEL/CentOS server is confronted with a version dilemma.

1. CentOS 7 sports PHP 5.4, which has been officially EOL for quite some
time, but Red Hat will provide security update backports until 2024.
Which is fine.

2. Currently supported versions of Nextcloud (namely the 11.x and 12.x
branch) require a minimum of PHP 5.6. Which seems reasonable. But if I
pull in PHP 5.6 from Webtatic, for example, I only get the "official"
PHP support, which will end in 2018 for the 5.6 branch. And no security
backports.

3. The solution would be to go with Nextcloud 10, which only requires
PHP 5.4, and which is also provided in package form by EPEL. 'yum info
nextcloud' shows that the current EPEL version is 10.0.4... but a peek
on the Nextcloud homepage shows me that this version is officially
unsupported. Uh oh.

4. Some of the stuff I'm hosting on my CentOS 7 server (like CMSMS) is
not compatible with PHP 7.x versions.

So right now I don't see a solution for this. As far as I can see, the
"least evil" solution would be to pull in PHP 5.6 from Webtatic and go
for Nextcloud 11.x, and have an EOL for both around next summer.

I'd be curious if some of you are familiar with this sort of dilemma (I
guess so) and how you manage it.

Been there, still doing that.

At work we have an OC-server v9 running off of CentOS 7.3 on which I installed
PHP 5.6. I don't dare installing PHP 7 in case something breaks.

On my own private OC at home, I have OC v10 running with PHP 7.0.
The only other service I have on that service is Piwigo which runs just fine
with that php-version.

I agree however, everytime I want to mess with OC I get to do the php-dance...
Irritating, but I guess that's the deal if you want the stability and
compatibility CentOS is offering.
--
//Sorin