[CentOS] update to 7.4

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Sep 19 17:25:06 UTC 2017

On Sep 19, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I drop back to a previous kernel the machine is alive. So how do I say
> "forget the previous yum update" and start all over and do it again.

Since you are mid-transaction, you should at least try:

yum-complete-transaction

This is the safest route.

If that fails, you might be able to use yum history to back out the last transaction, but that probably would fail because you’d have to download and install the packages in the previous release, which might not be available anymore.

You can also use:

package-cleanup —cleandupes

… to clean out any duplicate packages that might be both installed.

This has happened to me more often than I’d like to admit.  Usually because I didn’t start the yum update in a tmux shell and one of the updates caused the SSH connection to fail.