[CentOS] CentOS, PHP & OwnCloud/Nextcloud: the version dilemma

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 08:12:37 UTC 2017

On 19 September 2017 at 21:15, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, September 19, 2017 1:42 pm, Nux! wrote:
> >> Unfortunately the same can be said about Ruby, RoR, Python etc etc etc.
> >
> > It is not as much true about languages themselves (though it is true, and
> > I for one call python "sneaky snake" just because of that ;-), as about
> <snip>
> Yeah, in addition to my reaction to "you're using *whitespace* as a syntax
> element?!", I had an early dislike of python, when each new sub-release
> broke things that had worked in the previous.

For what it's worth at this time I'd use one of the PHP7 options with the
upstream

https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/15

Getting the owncloud and nextcloud EPEL packages updated are on my to-do
list, but family and work matters have limited my time in the recent months.

The EPEL versions cannot go to the latest though due to the minimum PHP
version jump.

At this point I'd recommend you use the upstream archive (just untar/unzip
it) and the most recent PHP in either IUS, remi or SCL (depending which
repo you feel more comfortable with ... see my article for the differences
but they are all trustworthy).

James