[CentOS] update to 7.4

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Sep 20 14:47:01 UTC 2017

On 9/19/2017 9:51 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I was doing an update to 7.4 and somewhere in middle the machine died.
>
> If I drop back to a previous kernel the machine is alive. So how do I say
> "forget the previous yum update" and start all over and do it again.
>
> Booting into the new kernel I get a kernel fault. So going back one level
> on teh boot screen solves that - I just need to start the update again. How
> is that?

I think I'd try....

     yum remove kernel-(broken version)
     yum update

This happened to me on one of the units during a 7.4 upgrade, and the
only way for the system to work for me was to use the previous os.

I tried to use the yum remove kernal 7.4 , but yum tried to remove all
of the kernels instead of just that last one installed.  I obviously
aborted the command.

Looks like 7.4 has some major problems.

Greg