[CentOS] CentOS 7: changes to php.ini

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:48:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, September 21, 2017 4:04 am, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hosting a few web apps like OwnCloud, Wordpress and Dolibarr on
> CentOS 7 that require a handful of changes to php.ini. I have to define
> some custom values for post_max_size, upload_max_filesize, etc.
>
> I don't know if I'm supposed to edit /etc/php.ini directly or if changes
> should be put in a configuration file stub in /etc/php.d. For example, I
> followed the recommendations of a fellow CentOS user and defined
> date.timezone by edit /etc/php.d/date.ini like this.
>
> [Date]
> ; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
> ; http://php.net/date.timezone
> date.timezone = Europe/Paris
>
> Am I supposed to do something similar for other PHP variables?

I for one do all changes I need (like timezone, memory, upload size, etc)
in /etc/php.ini or its equivalent (on FreeBSD it will be
/usr/local/etc/php.ini). Package managers are smart to not overwrite (or
delete when package is uninstalled) configuration files. I'm sure config
files in php.d  are read after /etc/php.ini so they have "final word" on
what some variable will be. Making habit to put things there is good in
respect you will check/edit in place that will be overriding other places
like /etc/php.ini. As I am one sysadmin in the team, I prefer slight
convenience (or indulge my laziness) of doing it /etc/php.ini. So, it
basically can be just your own habit.

Just my $0.02

Valeri

> Cheers,
>
> Niki
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
> Mail : info at microlinux.fr
> Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32