[CentOS] Strange issue with CentOS7 on XenServer

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Thu Sep 21 14:55:08 UTC 2017

On 21/09/17 16:44, Todor Petkov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I stumbled upon a strange problem with CentOS upgrade on XenServer
> environment, and I would like to ask if someone has this issue as
> well:
>
> XenServer 7.1, the VM is CentOS7, with kernel
> 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 running in PV mode
> When I upgrade the kernel (running with yum update kernel), after
> reboot in the VM console it says "dracut-pre-udev[212]: modprobe:
> ERROR: could not insert 'dm-mod': Cannot allocate memory" and after a
> while it drops to dracut shell
>
> If I boot from from an old kernel with the updated kexec-tools/dracut,
> it's fine.
>
> Anyone experiencing this issue?
>
> Regards,

Yes, and it's listed in the Release Notes
(https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-281c090cc4fbc6bb5c7d4cd82a266fce807eee7c)

So you can't run in PV mode with the 7.4.1708 kernel, but you can use
the centosplus kernel, which has the added patch/config.

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab