[CentOS] upgrade or install to Centos 7.4.1708

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Sep 21 22:28:19 UTC 2017

On 09/19/2017 12:40 PM, Richard wrote:
>> Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:32:00 -0400
>> From: Pete Geenhuizen <pete at geenhuizen.net>

>>> I'm using 7.4/Mate on a Dell machine with Skylake i5-7500/Graphics
>>> 630, without any issues. I installed 7.3 then did initial updates
>>> via CR, and then the final ones when released the other day. Had to
>>> change my default mate theme (due to gtk2/3 issues) but otherwise
>>> all has been fine.
>>>
>> Hmm I did the same thing other than the Dell and i5-7500, I didn't
>> use CR but waited for the official release.  I wonder if I'm
>> experiencing the same theme issue with my mate these  If that is
>> the what should I look for to verify that gtk2/3 is the issue, or
>> what theme are you using?
>>
>> Pete
>>
> The mate-gtk2/3 issue effects windows/menus/scrollbars and the like,
> not the login screen. See:
>
> <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2017-August/165955.html>
>
> for that issue. I switched to the Adwaita theme, as suggested there.

My situation is similar, but different:

After wrestling with it for a half-day, I successfully completed the
update to 7.4, but as part of that I had to "rpm -e
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-1.4.5-6.el7_3.x86_64 cheese totem
totem-nautilus" so I could "yum update
gstreamer1-plugins-base-1.10.4-1.el7.x86_64" and reinstall cheese, totem
and totem-nautilus.  Then I had no sound at all anywhere on the system,
even in audacity and in vlc, both of which *always* work, even when
sound doesn't work in firefox and other apps.

Also, I wanted to check my firewall settings prior to rebooting, so
clicked on "firewalld" in the "Applications" menu.  As soon as I did
that, at the very moment I did that, my entire screen flashed and
repainted itself.  But the screen was different.  All the borders on all
the windows were gone.  Not only that, my touchpad quit working almost
everywhere.  I can't use the touchpad to focus on a different window, to
drag-and-move a window, to click on link in firefox, to click on any
buttons in thunderbird, and much more. It still works in the text areas
of windows for other things... e.g., I can scroll text up and down
inside of windows (using standard double-finger drag), but little else.
I plugged in a USB mouse and it works on everything... everything the
touchpad used to do.

I mention the firewalld/window-manager/touchpad horkiness because it
might cast some light on the "mate" issues mentioned above... point to a
deeper source to the problem.

This has been the weirdest update I've ever done.  Maybe things will
clear up after I reboot.  I'm hoping.  But thought I'd get that info out
in case you don't hear from me in a while (when I eventually reboot into
the new kernel).