[CentOS] prevent users from fiddling with network?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 22 14:29:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, September 22, 2017 8:31 am, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> As Scott said, nothing is perfect.  On Ubuntu (16.04 - the current long
> term support version) all home directories are world executable/readable
> ("Security?  What's that?").

Thanks Scott and Leroy for your advises. I agree, Ubuntu almost from the
very beginning was (IMHO) aimed to be single user laptop or desktop
system. Being Debian replica, _that_ was what differed it from Debian.
Debian, though very rich and independent (not backed by company - even one
with excellent reputation) had its quirks. I bet everybody remembers
random number generator flop that was on Debian and all its clones for
about 4 years before it became publicly known and fixed (basically,
someone commented our fair chunk of code of random number generator for
debugging, and left it that way, - so all random numbers had only 4 first
bits random and the rest deterministically predictable from those). All
Debian (and clones) admins had to re-generate all key pairs, certificates,
etc., and live guessing if bad guys ever visited they systems, or rebuild
those. I do not recollect a flop like that on RedHat side (praising good
guys again, thigh not liking their direction now). So, I'm still looking
for centrally manageable and installable en masse Linux system (my users
do need to run variety of code written on and for Linux) - thanks for
suggestions everybody!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator