[CentOS] gtk3 update causing havoc

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Sep 22 22:31:29 UTC 2017

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:04:14 -0500
Paul Johnson wrote:

> The bad problem I see now is that Emacs and  Chromium-browser, which
> rely on gtk3 don't work properly anymore. In Emacs, the symptom is
> that the ribbon of buttons under the pull down menu will no longer
> show.  In Chromium,  the buttons and other widget things on the top
> are an ugly yellow distortion.

Un-intuitive as it may be, you may just need to start using either the Adwaita or Clearlooks-phenix theme.

One chap I know of that's using the CERN linux told me that solved a  problem similar to yours by using the clearlooks-phenix theme.

I use clearlooks-phenix here to solve a different set of problems (menus on Gnome-terminal and Geany), and I don't really like the way Adwaita looks.

Here's the solution if you want to try it:

yum install clearlooks-phenix-gtk2-theme clearlooks-phenix-gtk3-theme

Go to the look and feel preferences setting on your desktop and select Clearlooks-phenix from the list.

And afterward you can

yum remove mate-themes

if you want because it's not needed any more (assuming that you're using mate, that is).