[CentOS] Notice: Check your tuned settings for a performance boost.

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Sun Sep 24 17:25:36 UTC 2017

On 09/23/2017 03:52 AM, hw wrote:

> Thank you very much for the notice!  Looking at a couple machines, I found
> that the automatic choice of profile isn´t what I would want.
>
> Now I wonder how everyone deals with this, i. e. do you set a profile once
> and never change it, or do you keep changing the profile according to
> circumstances?  Is changing it even advisable, i. e. do all the settings
> applied through a profile always take effect immediately, or may a reboot
> be required for some of them?

The change is immediate, however some processes may need to be restarted.

> For example, 'virtual-host' is a good choice during the day when the server
> is being used while 'balanced' --- or even 'powersave' --- could be used at
> night when the server is idle.
> > I made entries in the crontab for this to change the profile at the
> appropriate times.  But is that a good idea?

Not really. Ultimately this is what the scheduler itself is meant to be
doing. What you've described is what the 'balanced' profile actually does.

For server users, I'd say it's a set it and forget it thing.

Laptop users who want performance when plugged in on AC, and powersave
when on battery... Those are the people who should be using something
like tlp or powertop (both in EPEL I think) to change this automatically.

--
Jim Perrin