[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Use CentOS to create a bootable Mac OS X DVD from dmg file?

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Sep 25 06:13:40 UTC 2017

Le 25/09/2017 à 07:02, Keith Keller a écrit :
> I put CentOS 7 onto a MBP.  I'm not sure what vintage it is but probably
> similar to yours.  IIRC the install was relatively straightforward,
> including wireless and X11, two factors that were a huge PITA for me in
> the past on Apple laptops.

With CentOS 7 I only had one problem, which proved to be a showstopper.
Normally I'm running a highly customized version of KDE on all my CentOS
desktop installations (installation is described in detail on my blog at
https://blog.microlinux.fr/poste-de-travail-centos-7/). On the MacBook
Pro, KDE simply froze at startup. The KDE splash screen would show the
first hard disk icon, then there would be a little chime, and that's it,
freeze.

I've already seen this behavior on other older laptops, and a peek in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log showed me that the card couldn't render the desired
effects (don't remember the exact error message). And this even though I
had installed the proprietary NVidia driver.

The thing would probably have worked with Xfce or MATE, but I had a
strict time limit for that installation. Ubuntu 16.04 worked pretty much
out of the box - and is nice to look at - so I decided to go with that.
Next time I'll give CentOS 7 + custom Xfce a spin.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr