[CentOS] Semi-OT: hardware: NVidia proprietary driver, C7.4

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Tue Sep 26 19:45:32 UTC 2017

On 26/09/17 18:40, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> This is really frustrating. I've got a server with two K20c Tesla cards. I
> need to use the proprietary drivers to use the CUDA toolkit. Btw, I had no
> trouble at all with building for CentOS 7.3
>
> I have what NVidia claims is the correct driver package, a 340 series. It
> appears to build, but then fails to load. The only error I see is "no such
> device", which makes no sense to me, esp. since it says nothing whatever
> else.
>
> I've gone through the install log, and there are a bunch of Note:, and
> warnings, but the later I think are all about comparing signed and
> unsigned integers.
>
> And lsmod shows no nvidia drivers registered, but the logs claims that
> Error: Driver 'nvidia' is already registered, aborting...
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
>         mark

You don't say which version of the 340 series driver you have tried.

There was a bug with recent legacy releases that affected el7.4 kernels.
We (elrepo) patched the driver to fix that on rhel7.4 releases. I'm not
sure but it _may_ have been fixed in the 340.104 driver released last
week - I've not bothered building it as the changelog only mentions
"Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels" which we
patched/fixed in our the previous release and other issues which don't
affect kmods on RHEL.

So it sounds like a known issue which has already been fixed. If you
don't want to use our packages, maybe take a look at the patch and try
applying it to your build.