[CentOS] login case sensitivity

Wed Sep 6 10:45:16 UTC 2017
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 09/05/2017 06:01 PM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> FHDATA wrote:
>
>>   some users' login fails since they type upper
>>   case for their user ids  ,etc ...
> Wouldn't it be better to explain to the users that the userid is case
> sensitive? You probably don't want a system where Fhdata, FHData and
> FHDATA are all possible and are different users.

Normally, it's a failure to respond to a technical question by instead
telling someone how to administer their system(s) or recommending
different software.  But in this instance I have to agree with Yves.
For even if you, fhdata, were to successfully change system handling of
userid for sssd, you would then have to allow the same sort of policy
for other services such as email and news.  Userids could be used also
in databases which could be then corrupted.  Problems could be
introduced also into the various logs.  If, as is likely the case, you
are not the only sysadmin on the system(s), you would also be creating
problems for the other sysadmins, now and into the future.  I think it
would also be a disservice to users, for case-insensitive userids is not
what they'll find on web sites and web services throughout the rest of
the world, even on their own phones.  So I'd agree, in this instance you
should stay with the standard and explain to users that there ids are
case sensitive.