[CentOS] login case sensitivity

Thu Sep 7 15:11:50 UTC 2017
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 5 September 2017 at 17:27, FHDATA <fhdata at unm.edu> wrote:

> hello,
>
> some users' login fails since they type upper
> case for their user ids  ,etc ...
>
> how can case sensitivity be disabled so they can login
> with mix of upper and lower case?
>
> this is what i tried:
>
> in /etc/sssd/sssd.conf i tested this below
>
> [domain/default]
> case_sensitive = false
>

> i stopped  sssd, deleted all inside /var/sss/db and
> started  sssd  but that did not  help ....

case sensitivity for user accounts is considered implementation
dependent from the early days of Unix. However most Unixes from the
late 1970's onward incorporated that user accounts were case sensitive
in login. The later POSIX standards to try and formalize various
divergences, kept it as being 'site dependent'. This was always
problematic because DNS hostnames and email addresses in the RFC
standards were case insensitive so that you could have accounts like
abc, Abc, and ABC but only one of them would get email. LDAP sort of
cuts a path between POSIX and RFC where depending on the LDAP servers
configuration, it is either case sensitive or case insensitive. The
client has little control over this because sending something the AD
or LDAP server will not parse will give an error.

The second issue is that login checks against what getent the account
name is which is before LDAP gives an answer. Long long ago, you could
look at using pam_regex to make sure that all accounts were seen as
lower case so that when passed to LDAP they matched. However I haven't
looked at that in close to 2 decades so I have no idea if it is still
valid.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.