[CentOS] login case sensitivity

Thu Sep 7 20:07:42 UTC 2017
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 07.09.2017 um 20:07 schrieb hw:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 09/07/2017 08:11 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>> This was always
>>> problematic because DNS hostnames and email addresses in the RFC
>>> standards were case insensitive
>>

>> Not quite.  SMTP is required to treat the "local-part" of the RCPT
>> argument as case-sensitive, and to preserve case when relaying mail.
>> The destination is allowed to treat addresses according to local
>> policy, but in general SMTP is case sensitive with regard to the user
>> identifier.
>
> Last time I checked, RFCs said that local parts *should not* be case
> sensitive,
> and cyrus defaulted to treat them case sensitive, which is a default
> that usually
> needs to be changed because senders of messages tend to not pay any
> attention to
> the case sensitiveness of recipient addresses at all, which then
> confuses them like
> any other error.

The relevant part from the RFC:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt

2.4.  General Syntax Principles and Transaction Model

    Verbs and argument values (e.g., "TO:" or "to:" in the RCPT command
    and extension name keywords) are not case sensitive, with the sole
    exception in this specification of a mailbox local-part (SMTP
    Extensions may explicitly specify case-sensitive elements).  That is,
    a command verb, an argument value other than a mailbox local-part,
    and free form text MAY be encoded in upper case, lower case, or any
    mixture of upper and lower case with no impact on its meaning.  The
    local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive.
    Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case
    of mailbox local-parts.  In particular, for some hosts, the user
    "smith" is different from the user "Smith".  However, exploiting the
    case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and
    is discouraged.  Mailbox domains follow normal DNS rules and are
    hence not case sensitive.

Alexander