[CentOS] audio flaky

Thu Sep 14 05:03:13 UTC 2017
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, wwp wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 12:02:34 -0500 (CDT) Michael Hennebry
>> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running CentOS 6.
>>> The audio goes in and out a lot.
>>> With vlc, I can sometimes get the audio back
>>> by turning the audio track off and on again.
>>> I have similar issues with a/v embedded in html.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?
>>
>> Could you elaborate about "the audio goes in and out a lot"?
>
> It just cuts out.
>
> Of videos on my computer, the problem might be for a single mp4 file.
> The cut outs occurs at scene changes,
> most of which are between grayscale and color.
>
> A facebook friend sent me a video that used to have sound.
> Now it's quiet and shorter.

Apparently, when I get at it though chat,
it's muted by default and a right-clich brings up the unmute menu.
That leaves the other file.

> Now I wonder whether my video software has
> gotten more sensitive to malformed data.

According to yum.log, vlc stuff was updated on MArch 29 and not later.
According to rpm -q vlc depends on libpulse... .
According to yum.log , pulseaudio stuff was updated May 3 and not later.
This include erasing package pulseaudio
with no corresponding install or update.
This suggests to me a major change.

All that said,
it seems to me that the cutting out started much later than that.

Also, since the problem appears to affect only one file,
'tain't all that big a deal anymore.

> Is there a tool that will try to clean a bad mp4 video?

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards