[CentOS] CentOS, PHP & OwnCloud/Nextcloud: the version dilemma

Tue Sep 19 19:02:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, September 19, 2017 1:42 pm, Nux! wrote:
> Unfortunately the same can be said about Ruby, RoR, Python etc etc etc.

It is not as much true about languages themselves (though it is true, and
I for one call python "sneaky snake" just because of that ;-), as about
how the software using these languages is written. E.g. well known
mailman. I never had it give me any trouble wherever I have/had it
installed, even though it is written in "sneaky snake" (python). This is
example of brilliantly written software! So, all these incompatibilities
and upgrade trouble, or rather absence of thereof, is about how well the
programmers have written their code. Namely, whether they use only
fundamental abilities of the language which are unlikely to change for
long time, or chase after one day fancy features that tend to evaporate
quickly, or get transformed soon.

I probably should have put "rant" tags... or maybe shouldn't.

Valeri