[CentOS] [OT] CentOS, PHP & OwnCloud/Nextcloud: the version dilemma

Wed Sep 20 11:50:41 UTC 2017
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 09/20/17 04:42, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Straying OT ...

>>> It is not as much true about languages themselves (though it is true, and
>>> I for one call python "sneaky snake" just because of that ;-), as about
>>
>> <snip>
>> Yeah, in addition to my reaction to "you're using *whitespace* as a syntax
>> element?!", I had an early dislike of python, when each new sub-release
>> broke things that had worked in the previous.
>>
> +1
>
> As a sysadmin/programmer I really detest using indents to denote
> lexical level. But when I have ever expressed such opinions I am
> invariably shouted down and told that it makes programming easier and
> I'm just an elitist nerd. And don't get me started on the incompatible
> point releases.

That's not to say I don't indent ALL THE TIME, it certainly makes it far
easier to read - don't let me get started about any HTML editor/word
processor, that left justifies *completely* - but that it's a syntactic
element, equivalent to semicolon in most other languages, disturbs me.

Enforcing good style by compiler...

	mark