[CentOS] upgrade or install to Centos 7.4.1708

Wed Sep 20 14:41:51 UTC 2017
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

I upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4 over the weekend.  Everything went well
except that I can't login because the screen is black with a cursor.

If reboot boot the 7.3 kernel 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 kernel
everything works just fine, so my guess is that there's a kernel issue
with the hardware, specifically the Skylake processor.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so can how I resolve the
problem other than using the previous kernel?

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.  Z170M-PLUS
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz Skylake

Pete

Pete,

I have had various assortment of problems with 7.4 to the point that I
quit upgrading the rest of our PC's with 7.4 until the problems are
identified and fixed.  The only work around that I could come up with is
to use the last 7.3 os which at least made each unit usable.

As you know, most of the time these upgrades have been seamless because
the Centos team has done a wonderful job.  However, the upgrade to 7.4
has some problems, and I decided to stop the upgrade of our remaining
units until 7.4 works as well as 7.3.

Greg