[CentOS] CentOS 7: changes to php.ini

Thu Sep 21 13:54:46 UTC 2017

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, September 21, 2017 4:04 am, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm hosting a few web apps like OwnCloud, Wordpress and Dolibarr on
>> CentOS 7 that require a handful of changes to php.ini. I have to define
>> some custom values for post_max_size, upload_max_filesize, etc.
>>
>> I don't know if I'm supposed to edit /etc/php.ini directly or if changes
>> should be put in a configuration file stub in /etc/php.d. For example, I
>> followed the recommendations of a fellow CentOS user and defined
>> date.timezone by edit /etc/php.d/date.ini like this.
>>
>> [Date]
>> ; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
>> ; http://php.net/date.timezone
>> date.timezone = Europe/Paris
>>
>> Am I supposed to do something similar for other PHP variables?
>
> I for one do all changes I need (like timezone, memory, upload size, etc)
> in /etc/php.ini or its equivalent (on FreeBSD it will be
> /usr/local/etc/php.ini). Package managers are smart to not overwrite (or
> delete when package is uninstalled) configuration files. I'm sure config
> files in php.d  are read after /etc/php.ini so they have "final word" on
> what some variable will be. Making habit to put things there is good in
> respect you will check/edit in place that will be overriding other places
> like /etc/php.ini. As I am one sysadmin in the team, I prefer slight
> convenience (or indulge my laziness) of doing it /etc/php.ini. So, it
> basically can be just your own habit.

Y'all should note the existence of yum-posttransaction-actions, which
allows you to create scripts to be automagically run after a yum update.
I, specifically, use it to keep apcupsd from either screaming and
screaming, as happens with an extension, by just using sed -i to change
/etc/apcupsd/appcontrol (which is *not* a configuration file, and so is
overwritten) so that SHUTDOWN=/bin/false, rather than /sbin/shutdown

     mark