[CentOS] prevent users from fiddling with network?

Thu Sep 21 23:13:59 UTC 2017
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 05:23:23PM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, September 21, 2017 12:42 pm, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >> Than was my first reaction when I realized that logged in with GUI (X11)
>
> Yes, I can understand the rationale as above - if it is somebody's laptop.
> Or someone's home computer. But it is arguable if it is centrally managed
> workstation. This ability to screw settings up is a pain for sysadmin if
> this workstation sits on common area (like library) and multiple users can
> access that, and even if it is workstation that is basically a single user
> one, but has to be managed centrally. I rest my case. Basically, all _I_
> said on this sidetracked thread should be treated as enclosed into "rant"
> tags ;-)

Well, this is my longstanding rant against RedHat and friends.  Take a look
at what Fedora is doing before blithely throwing it into RedHat.

Most Fedora stuff is for single user laptops, and frankly, a lot of it
seems developed by people with no concept of system administration.
Things like this.  One bug, back when I cared enough to file bug reports
(at a FreeBSD shop these days, so it affects me less) was when had pkg kit
or some other GUI allow any user to install and update any package without
authorization.

Too many things to make things easy for the less experienced user, which
makes sense for Fedora, get put into RedHat, and they shouldn't.

I wish there were a bit more competition for commercial Linux for RedHat
here in the US so that they'd have to pay more attention to their user
base.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6