[CentOS] Connecting to internet with USB tethered iphone

Fri Sep 22 15:50:30 UTC 2017
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 22 September 2017 at 11:39, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22 September 2017 at 10:33, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I am trying to get a centos 6 system on the internet with a tethered
>> > iPhone. I can see the phone with lsusb as bus 001 device 011. A post on
>> > stackoverflow said I would need to run "# ip link set usb0 up && dhcpcd
>> > usb0"
>> >
>> > But how do I reference my phone in that command?
>>
>> I thought that if the phone is in tethering mode that is all you need
>> to do. The command is saying setup an 'ethernet' port on the USB and
>> to ask for a dhcpd command from it. If the phone allows tethering it
>> will be using its USB as an ethernet connection and will see a dhcpd
>> connection and will give out an ip address.
>

> Seems something else is using usb0 - without the phone connected I see
> something on usb0 when running ifconfig. I think it's some internal
> network.  I tried running those commands when the phones be was connected
> but the system still is not on the internet.

That may be the case with some hardware. A lot of management hardware
will appear as a USB network address so you can loop back into the
hardware that way. You could try usb1 for the phone to see if that
works.