[CentOS] Notice: Check your tuned settings for a performance boost.

Sat Sep 23 10:52:46 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Jim Perrin wrote:
> Last week we noticed that the default scheduler isn't being set properly
> in CentOS 7. I haven't checked this for CentOS 6, but it might be worth
> exploring.
>
> The TL;DR is unless you're running CentOS 7 on a laptop or as a virtual
> guest, you should probably run 'tuned-adm profile throughput-performance'
>
> I wrote up the full details here ->
> http://jperrin.org/centos/boosting-centos-server-performance/

Thank you very much for the notice!  Looking at a couple machines, I found
that the automatic choice of profile isn´t what I would want.

Now I wonder how everyone deals with this, i. e. do you set a profile once
and never change it, or do you keep changing the profile according to
circumstances?  Is changing it even advisable, i. e. do all the settings
applied through a profile always take effect immediately, or may a reboot
be required for some of them?

For example, 'virtual-host' is a good choice during the day when the server
is being used while 'balanced' --- or even 'powersave' --- could be used at
night when the server is idle.

I made entries in the crontab for this to change the profile at the
appropriate times.  But is that a good idea?