[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Use CentOS to create a bootable Mac OS X DVD from dmg file?

Sat Sep 23 14:43:53 UTC 2017

On Sat, September 23, 2017 7:23 am, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is only half-CentOS-related.
>
> In my office, I'm running CentOS on all my systems (server, workstation,
> laptop, sandbox PCs). A colleague brought me her MacBook Pro to upgrade
> it from OS X 10.5.7 to 10.11.6.

First OT answer. If you can boot your macintosh, you can put image on it
somewhere, and just ckick or double click on it, macintosh will start what
necessary to upgrade or install. If mac does not boot, yoy can power it on
while holding two keys pressed: command + T . it will need network access,
and will go into recovery boot that in addition to some utilities will let
you install macos version the machine was sold with.

> I downloaded the 5.8 GB dmg file and now I wonder how to create a
> bootable DVD with this using only Linux tools.
>
> 1. Can I simply burn this as a data DVD with K3B?
>
> 2. Or do I have to jump through burning loops using dmg2img, mount -t
> hfsplus, etc.

I burn disk images routinely on FreeBSD, but I am sure all the command
options are the same on linux:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/disk/image.iso

where /dev/dvd is device resembling your burner.

valeri