[CentOS] Not SOLVED upgrade or install to Centos 7.4.1708

Mon Sep 25 00:48:15 UTC 2017
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On 09/24/17 12:28, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> On 09/19/17 11:01, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
> > I upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4 over the weekend.  Everything went well
> > except that I can't login because the screen is black with a
> > cursor.
> >
> > If reboot boot the 7.3 kernel 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 kernel
> > everything works just fine, so my guess is that there's a kernel
> > issue
> > with the hardware, specifically the Skylake processor.
> >
> > Has anyone else run into this problem and if so can how I resolve
> > the
> > problem other than using the previous kernel?
> >
> > ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.  Z170M-PLUS
> > VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev
> > 06)
> > Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz Skylake
> >
> > Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Pete
> >

> On 09/22/17 15:46, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
> > After trying the suggestions offered here and various other
> > suggestions
> > that I found through various searches I finally solved the problem
> > by
> > ditching the on board graphics and installing a graphics card.
>

> Pete and others,
>
> I am still having some 7.4 problems.  I just finished a fresh install
> of 7.4 on an ASUS motherboard of which Centos now does not recognize
> the video monitor.  I was required to do a 'Basic Graphic' install
> instead of a full graphic install with the new 7.4 iso. After a
> successful install I tried to change the resolution of the screen
> display but Centos was unable to do so because it did not recognize
> the
> monitor.  This was not a problem with 7.3.
>
> The Mother board is :
> Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
> Product Name: B150M-A/M.2
> Version: Rev X.0x
>
> The CPU is :
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
>
> It does not appear that Centos is recognizing the capability of the
> mother board.  Does anyone have ideas as to a solution for this.  I
> am
> not certain even buying a video card would make a difference.
>
> Pete... what card did you purchase that worked???
>
> Greg

Greg,
Look although you are using a different mobo, you are experiencing the
same problems that I ran into.  At one point I managed to get a
graphical display but at the resolution was extremely low 800x640 I
believe, and no way to change it because it didn't look like the
kernel
recognized the monitor at all.

I just took a stab at a card figuring that no one else seemed to be
having issues. I don't do anything graphically intensive so I just
looked for what I thought was a good deal , and this card looked like
good deal, with a $10 rebate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW5B3ZO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?i
e=UTF8&psc=1

Pete

Pete,

Thanks much, The machine I am preparing will be for video conferencing
so that card should be fine.  I ordered one from Newegg.... Thanks
again.

Sure hope 7.4 gets fixed; I stopped doing any additional updates.

Greg