[CentOS] Centos 7 LAPP setup PHP 5 vs 7

Gary Stainburn

gary at ringways.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 18:49:14 UTC 2018

Another questions regarding my new server setup.

As with the Postgresql setup, different pages describing setting up a Centos
LAPP server have differing opinions about PHP versions.

The default distro's appear to still be installing PHP5 while some sites
instruct on how to install PHP7.

I am porting my old server which must be 10 years old, running Fedora 9 and
PHP5 onto the new server, so presumably sticking with PHP5 would be the
easier option.

However, I am looking to give my new server as long a life as possible, so
should I instead be looking at PHP7?

I have literally thousonds of lines of PHP code on my existing box. How much
head ache am I going to have porting into either of the two new platforms?
How much difference would PHP5 vs PHP7 be?

Opinions please