[CentOS] Semi-OT: install python package in userspace

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Apr 9 16:15:51 UTC 2018

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:

>> Does CentOS changed the package management? :-)
>
> Quite.
>
> This is not an Ubuntu dig, but when I challenge some of the users
> about the more dangerous sudo's they try, inevitably they say they
> got the command from the net, and by that they usually mean Ubuntu
> forums.

Whether the instructions come from the Ubuntu forums or not, we
regularly experience the same thing: users unthinkingly following
instructions in a REAME or posted on a web page. My experience
suggests these folks are just on autopilot. We don't even follow up
any more on most of the alerts; they'll ask us if it's important. So
we rarely give out sudo on shared systems and when we do there's some
"extreme vetting" going on.

Also, Python has such a mature virtual-environment setup that more
publicly posted instructions are using that route anyway.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W