[CentOS] Help with yum

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Fri Apr 13 00:48:43 UTC 2018

On 04/12/2018 08:51 AM, Kay Diederichs wrote:
>> I tried running:
>>> yum groups mark install "X Window system"
>> and get the same message. I tried different permutations removing the
>> "s" on groups. Nothing seems to bring back the yum "X Window system"
>> group. Can anyone help me resolve this issue and tell me what I did wrong?

First, thanks for everyone who tried to help me with this problem. At
this point I will apologize to the list for what I think is just user
error. Indeed I have convinced myself that there is no group package "X
Window system" albeit one may have existed many years ago. For those who
are interested in the full story continue reading other please accept my
apology and many thanks for the list help.

Second, here is the full story. I wanted to install Mate after doing a
minimal install. All the documentation I found on the web indicated that
after enabling the epel repository I should do this sequence of yum
commands(or something equivalent):

 > sudo yum groupinstall "X Window system" -y
 > sudo yum groups install "MATE Desktop" -y

Unfortunately I did things in opposite order and when I tried to do

 > startx

X windows would not startup. I swear that the after doing the "yum
groupinstall "X Window system" that packages were downloaded and
installed. So I chalked up the X start failure to doing things in the
incorrect order. So this morning I thought I would start with a clean
slate and did:

 > yum groupremove "X Window system" "MATE Desktop"
 > yum groupinstall "X Window system"

That is when I received the error message I did in my first post. So
just now I went back to another CentoOS 7 system running Mate and
re-produced the yum commands. It turns out the history contained
everything I needed. In my case I just needed to install the elrepo to
get the Nvidia drivers for my video card and first installed those:

 > yum install kmod-nvida nvidia-x11-drv

Then it was just a matter of:

 > yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop"
 > systemctl set-default graphical.target
 > reboot

Voila... I have a desktop running MATE!

I think the web instructions I found are outdated (although one web page
was dated 2/18/2018. There doesn't exist a "X Window system" yum group.
Generally I tell people when stuff like this happens that digital
computers can't lie... next time I will take my own advice.

Again thanks to everyone who helped... Your time was appreciated.
--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)
Cell: (303)257-5208