[CentOS] Vmware - Slightly off topic

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 20:02:19 UTC 2018

In article <CABr8-B6fcNgogynq66nNMkSLCHAtqA4OrL09XY6ABPRV4H+ZQw at mail.gmail.com>,
Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the correct way to provide a CentOS 7 - WMware image for ESX ?
>
> As an amateur to VMware - I thought - great I can get VMplayer and ESX
> should be able to import my image... Wrong... I even went through the
> trouble of "converting" to VMWare workstation and thinking ESX could import
> that - Apparently still Wrong...  I cannot for the life of me understand
> how one product family is so incompatible with itself. But that is another
> story.
>
> I just want to be able to provide a pre-built image with CentOS 7 and my
> other programs on a bootable VMware image that is easily imported into any
> VMware platform - Workstation, ESX or other.
>
> How is that accomplished ?
> Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

Looking at the results for https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+export+a+vmware+image
it looks like you need to export a built, working VM as an OVF.

Not sure which VMware products can do that. Possibly Workstation? The old, free
VMware server 1.0.10 that I use doesn't appear to have that feature.

You should then be able to copy the OVF file to another VMware host an import it.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield