[CentOS] formating DVR-RW

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Wed Apr 25 14:30:46 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:10:34 AM CDT Michael Hennebry wrote:
> My Centos 6 wodim tell me that it can only format DVD+RW.
> I have DVD-RWs.
> Even when I format a DVD-RW on my standalone DVD recorder,
> wodim still will not write to it.
> Is there a centos-6-useable mechanism
> for formatting and writing DVD-RWs?

According to the man page for wodim - formatting is not supported for DVD-RW.
You might take a look at growisofs and dvd+rw-format.  The latter command, in
spite of the name, can deal with DVD-RW media.

It is possible that the optical drive in your computer does not support DVD-RW
media.  The only way I know of to find what media are supported is to use K3B.
If you go to Settings - Devices, you should get a list of readable and
writable media for each device.

Bill Gee