[CentOS] Windows PC PostScript printer driver -> CUPS data import fails

Thu Apr 12 10:08:36 UTC 2018
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

Hi all,

For some years now I have been using a simple system I found online which
allows me to easily import data from Windows Programs.

Hopefully others out there are using the system and already have found the
answer to my problem.

I have installed on my Centos server a virtual CUPS printer which receives a
PS file, and then runs 'ps2pdf' and 'pdftotext -layout' to end up with a text
file.

On the Windows PC's it's simply a case of installing a printer pointing to
this server, and using the HP Colour Laster 2800 PS drivers.

Now to my problem. We have finally moved onto Windows 10, and now when I try
to install the printer that model printer is no longer available. When I try
similar HP Colour Laser PS drivers the ps2pdf command fails.

[root at lou inet]# ps2pdf 20180412_104403_tcards.ps
GPL Ghostscript 9.14: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
[root at lou inet]#

The PDF contains:

ERROR: invalidfileaccess
OFFENDING COMMAND: .findfont
OPERAND STACK:
/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/UTBI____.pfa
--nostringval--
true
NimbusMonL-Regu
Courier
--nostringval--
Courier
4544317
Courier
Font
Courier

Has anyone else had this problem, and have they managed to find a solution?

Gary