[CentOS] question re: ls oddity

Fri Apr 20 00:12:05 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi all!

I use Centos-7 all the time. I also have a Fedora-26 VM that I use only
occasionally.

Today I noticed that ls on the two systems gives different results when
listing the same (networked) directory.

the one on fedora 26 shows files with spaces in the names like this:

'CHURCH FAMILY ADDRESS AND PHONE LIST.doc'

whereas the one on Centos shows it without the quotes.

both systems have the same alias for ls

I don't see anything based on a brief excursion of the respective man pages.

the one on Centos is version 8.22, and the one on F26 is 8.27, so unless
there is some dotfile somewhere that ls refers to for options, this must
be a version-change.

it seems like a possibly useful feature, one might be able to use that
to avoid nasty quoting problems in shellscripts, for instance.

Anybody know how that gets enabled?

thanks!