[CentOS] CentOS events for 2018/2019

Fri Apr 27 14:39:37 UTC 2018
Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com>

TL;DR: What events should we go to? Tell me at
https://goo.gl/forms/kLZ2y1H1jRSy4NdC3

Thanks!)

Looking at the coming 12 months, I need some feedback as I select events
that need to have a CentOS presence of some kind. While I have already
committed to some of these events (See below), starting around July we
haven't really signed on for much, and I would like to hear from the
community what events you feel we should be at, and why.

The why is, by far, the more important half of the question. Why, as in,
what story do we want to tell there; who are we trying to tell that
story to; what would be a positive outcome from being there.

First, here are the events that I am already committed to:

May 8-10: Red Hat Summit - https://www.redhat.com/en/summit/2018

June 25-28: ISC-HPC (SuperComputing) Frankfurt - https://www.isc-hpc.com/

October 1-3: cPanel, Houston - https://conference.cpanel.com/

November 12-15: SuperComputing 18, Dallas - https://sc18.supercomputing.org/

February 2-3 (assumed): FOSDEM, Brussels - http://fosdem.org

The story at Red Hat Summit is that CentOS (and, specifically, our SIGs)
is the platform for innovation, and the source of all of Red Hat's
products, as well as projects and products that continue to invent the
industry.

The story at the SuperComputing events is what I have been tweeting
"SuperComputing is #PoweredByCentOS" - which is incontrovertibly true.
The top 500 supercomputers in the world are overwhelmingly CentOS.

We attend cPanel because the web hosting business, and in particular
cPanel-backed sites, are overwhelmingly running on CentOS.

FOSDEM - because it's FOSDEM.

Events where we could have a presence are, of course, legion. We can
continue to do the events that we did last year, and the year before,
and that would be fine. Or we can try to visit some other industry
segment where we'd like to shine brighter.

I've made a Google Form at https://goo.gl/forms/kLZ2y1H1jRSy4NdC3
listing the events that I'm currently considering, but also providing
space for you to tell me what events I'm not thinking about yet.

Finally, please note that I'm not just talking about me going to stuff,
but, rather, identifying the right people that should be at these
events, and sending them to represent us - CentOS Ambassadors, if you will.

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
@RDOcommunity // @CentOSProject // @rbowen