[CentOS] XScreenSaver

Mon Apr 9 06:47:35 UTC 2018
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 09/04/2018 à 03:04, Chris Adams a écrit :
> It's Open Source - patching to remove such a nag is legal and a service
> to the users.
>
> It's a screensaver program - how many updates does it need anyway?  If
> it is just updates to add more fancy animations, there is zero reason to
> demand people upgrade.

Here's the exact response I got from the developer after asking for help:

"I am not going to go out of my way to help you run security-critical
software that is YEARS out of date. In fact, I consider it my
responsibility to do exactly the opposite.

It's not rocket science: someone on your distro's team just needs to
update it ONCE A YEAR. If that is too onerous for them, then I'd prefer
that they not distribute my software at all.

If you don't like the way XScreenSaver works, then don't run it. I hear
GNOME Screensaver is a thing that also exists. See how that works out
for you instead."

I didn't know a screensaver was that critical.

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr
Blog : https://blog.microlinux.fr